"Mom, let's have a meeting"

So if you haven't figured it out by now like you, I'm a busy mother!!!

I wear many hats ... and coats ... and gloves ... and scarves ... and socks! My daughters are now ages 4 and 6 years old. It's as if overnight they went from "mommy read me a bedtime story?" to "mommy can I get that new iPhone 6?" ... uh sure honey, right after you get that new job!

At any rate some of their requests are quite valid such as: eating, bathing sleeping, help with homework ... Ya know, the stuff that makes a parent a parent?!

My life has taken on a drastic change over the last couple of years, most of which were positive changes; it just took hindsight to see it! I became the Director of Marketing and Professor for a university, I started my doctorate degree, underwent a divorce and my father passed.

These changes made me view life in a new found way ... and it seemed to have rubbed off on my 6 year old. This past Spring, I was in my bedroom studying as she laid quietly on my tummy. As I go to turn to the next page of my quantitative textbook, she places her hand down on the page as if she's a page weight. She looks in my eyes and says "mom, let's have a meeting" in the most grownup voice I'd ever heard.

I close my textbook as she removes her hand and tell her okay. She says to me, "mom, I love all the money you make and stuff you buy me but I'm going to need you to find a new job that works with my schedule."

I quickly stare at her searching her eyes. I suppose for an answer of whether or not she is serious, has more to say, or heck anything! I see that she is being serious, my 6 year old the grown up *tear*

I ask her what new job does she have in mind? She told me that just yesterday she was a Taco Bell with Mema (that's my mother's nickname) and they are looking for full time and part time workers. I give her a smirk and tell her that I'd look into it.

It seems like everyday for a week she would let me know of a place that was hiring. She had a list! Walmart, a clown opening, dog walker, balloon blower upper (her words) and my favorite windshield washer - bring your own window cleaner and newspaper she says.

As amusing as it was to me, it also struck deep within. I realized that my child wanted me home more and she was not giving up. So it was at that point I decided to resign from my career at the university, and I becsmse an elementary school teacher ... at her school!

My kids love it! Of course my career goal was never to teach in public schools but as a professor. But once you have kids ... your plans are tossed out the window and like a boomerang, new ones come back. Sometimes even greater!

The Accident Momma!

Comments

Popular Posts