The Spelling Bee

So yesterday my daughter was in her first spelling bee! Mind you, she is my first school-age kid so I was super excited. I even posted it on Facebook ... imagine that!? Okay, it's only kindergarten but to me it's like she was selected to be on American Idol or something!



She prepared for her spelling bee all week by going over her list of words and reviewing them with anyone that would listen. She and I both just knew she was going home with the prize. On the evening of her spelling bee, I told her that it does not matter if she wins or loses. I told her that either way I would be proud and we would still celebrate. She told me okay and that she "got this."

My daughter's nickname is "So" and has been all her life, I only add this random comment so that you may better understand my next few sentences. There are a total of 20 kids in the spelling bee and the announcer calls each child up to the microphone to introduce themselves and the class they are representing. Finally, it's time for the main event! The first kid is called and his word is up,  "u...p" he says and the crowd applauded him. The next kid goes and her word is one, "o.n.e." she says quickly and the crowd applauds again. After a few more children had their turns spelling words like the, his, and like. It's my daughter's turn!

I get nervous and grab my sisters leg. I start thinking of what her word could possibly be, the announcer tells her to spell so. I whisper in my sister's ear ... if she misses this word, we are soooo not celebrating (yeah I know I contradicted myself). "S.o" she says and I let out a sigh. As each round went on, children were eliminated and finally it was round 3 out of 4. My daughter by this point had a bit of a proud attitude about herself. The announcer tells her to spell make. "M.a.c." she says and proudly turns to walk back towards her chair. She stops abruptly when she hears a bell. She turns to look at the 3 judges, one in particular ... her grandmother (my mom). My daughter had this look of betrayal on her face, my mother stares back at her 6 year old granddaughter with such a heartbroken expression and I just wait for her to come running to me.

 My daughter's look was something like this

While this was my mother's expression as she the judge booted her granddaughter off stage.

She proudly walks off the stage and just made it to me before she started crying. My poor baby was disqualified, make took her out! Too make a devastating story short, my daughter is not a good sportsman. She refused to talk to anyone and embarrassed the heck out of me. When we finally make it outside she asked me if we were still celebrating. I told her no! She asked was it because she lost? I replied calmly and said "no, it is because of your attitude. You were so rude to everyone just because you did not win."

She sadly, yet calmly looks back at me and says "well it's your fault." At this point, I was staring back at her a bit confused. She continued "if you wore a different kind of makeup I would have gotten it right!" I wear M.A.C makeup by the way!


Oh the joys of motherhood, this is Accidental Momma signing off!

Comments

Popular Posts