THE Accidental Momma

I am proud to admit that I have received a few questionable forehead wrinkles and crossing of eyes when asked for the name of my new blog. Although I am already being faced with skepticism and some critism at literally week 1 of my blog launch, I can't help but to feel like that's a great sign! The title "The Accidental Momma" can be misconstrued for a negative notion I will admit, but please allow me inside your mind for just a moment as I take you on a journey through mommyhood!

When I first became a mother it was a "trial and error" time for me.  I read books and articles about "being a good mom." I had everyone giving me their "expert" advice about what to do and not. Although I knew inside that most of the advice did not sound right, I figured they knew best because they already had experience in the mommy-department. I tried their ideas when it came to "properly" feeding, burping, bathing, changing, and even holding my daughter! But none of it felt natural. I felt as though when I was around "the experts" that my daughter wasn't my own.

I can recall one particular time being at my in-law's house and my daughter was being held by her grandmother.  My daugher was being extremely fussy after drinking her bottle.  I told my mother-in-law that my daughter needed to burp and she told me that couldn't possibly be it because she had already burped her.  Well my boyfriend and I had recently figured out that unless our daughter let out a "I just chugged a forty from a brown paper bag" burp, then it didn't count. But I said nothing, I didn't argue because after all... I wasn't an "expert" right? It was just so unfortunate that within minutes...my daughter found relief all over the front of grandma's clothes!

After dealing with several instances like this from others and receiving swarms of unwanted advice. I decided one day to just stay away from everyone (well as much as possible) and figure things out on my own. After all, she was my daughter and I had the stretch marks, hospital bill, and stretched tinker-teller to prove it! I will say that I was a bit nervous because I did not want to make a mistake. I was extremely careful when caring for my daughter, I didn't feel completely at ease, and I still followed the same advice others gave me even though they weren't around.  Until one day I asked myself "why?"

Being a mom isn't about following others' advice or the text in a book.  It's about doing what you feel is right as a mother.  As mother's we are unsure of our choices at times. But when your baby stops crying because you decided to hold her like a football, let her sleep in your bed instead of that overrated crib, or burp them again because you know they need that "I just chugged a forty from a brown paper bag" burp that's great! We as mothers learn through trial and error the do's and dont's of being a mother. It's a series of choices I like to call accidents that will eventually lead to the last accident that is known as the right solution. I take pride in my accidents because I know that I am learning what is right for my daughters and my last "accident" (through process of elimination) will be the right choice for their happiness and well-being; and no one else's.

I am proud to be an Accidental Momma!

Comments

Popular Posts